Are you passionate about gardening? We are looking for a School Garden Coordinator and other interested parents to form a School Garden Committee.
Care for the Earth, our common home, is an obligation of our Catholic faith. We are called to be careful stewards of God’s creation and to ensure a safe and hospitable environment for all human beings now and for generations to come.
The immediate focus of the School Garden Coordinator and Committee would be to work with school staff members (with guidance from the Parish Creation Care Ministry) to develop a school garden in space available behind the Father Martin Center. The school garden would also provide a space for an outdoor learning environment that would benefit everyone in our Parish community. The School Garden Committee would recruit and coordinate volunteers from the school community for work parties, garden planning, and garden maintenance.
Additional initiatives would be developed by the School Garden Committee, to include:
- Working with teachers to develop in-class garden lessons.
- Coordinating with teachers to determine individual garden projects to support the overall garden design.
- Coordinating with school administration and teachers to establish a schedule for the care and maintenance of the school garden.
- Coordinating with school administration and teachers to form a student gardening club.
- Researching grant opportunities for future garden expansion.
- Working with the School Lunch Coordinator to involve the students in composting, harvesting, prepping and serving herbs and produce from the school garden.
- Collaborating with the school community in the organization of events. such as St. Francis of Assisi Day, to showcase the school garden program.
If you are interested in being part of this gardening initiative, please contact Melissa Sinclair at email@example.com.